National Library of Armenia
The National Library of Armenia, as the world’s largest repository of Armenian publishing products, as well as a library science and information center, creates all conditions for the collection and processing of the information and ensures its full accessibility for readers in all possible ways.
The rich collection of the library includes the first Armenian printed book “Urbatagirk” (“Friday Book”, Venice, 1512), the first Armenian periodical “Azdarar” (“The Monitor Monthly ” Madras, 1794) and the first printed map “Hamatarats Ashkharatsuyts” (“Large World Map”, Amsterdam, 1695).
Among the various functions that value the library as a scientific structure are included services for readers, acquisition of printed materials, storage of library funds and their digitization, as well as bibliographic research.
The beginning of the history of the National Library of Armenia is considered to be 1832, when was founded the library of Yerevan Men’s Gymnasium. On the basis of the collection of the Gymnasium, which numbered 18,000 assets, was formed the National Library of Armenia.
From 1925 to 1990 the library bore the name of the statesman and public figure Alexander Myasnikyan, and in 1990 was renamed the National Library of Armenia. The library is located in 4 buildings. The oldest of them was built by the architect Alexander Tamanyan in 1939.
The construction of the Tamanyan building was financed by the government of Soviet Armenia and the charitable foundation “Grigor and Karapet Melkonyan”.
In 2008-2011, the building was reconstructed, this time with the financial support of the RA Government. The range of readers of the library is wide enough. In different years, it was visited by famous Armenian writers Avetik Isahakyan, Derenik Demirchyan, Paruyr Sevak, Nairi Zaryan, also famous scientists Viktor Hambardzumyan, Sergey Mergelyan, John Kirakosyan, Edward Jrbashyan and others.